Here’s some updates on the book. The table of contents so far. Chapters 1-8 are done, and I’m working on increasing the amount of content in Chapters 9-11 at the moment.
- I’d like some overall feedback on the structure, and if you think I missed any topics if you have any to add.
- Also, if you have any suggestions for titles that is appreciated.
The goal is to get out a book that appeals to the broader Christian men community that you could just give single or Christian men in any random Church that you visited. For single Christian man to understanding the process selecting a virtuous wife. For the married Christian man, especially those in troubled marriages, to understand how to lead effectively and spur a wife to sanctification and away from rebellion.
Table of Contents
- What is this book? (Theological exposition of marriage + life applications)
- Who is it for? (Young Christian men?)
- Why was it written? (Combat false teaching and cultural narratives?)
- Guide to the document
Section 1: Bible and Culture
Chapter 1: Bible and Culture
- Why the Bible is in conflict with culture
- Why the Bible is authoritative, including for us today
Section 2: The Bible on Marriage
Chapter 2: The Creation Order
- Creation of man and women, their roles
- The Fall shows the difference between man and woman
- Headship exists prior to the Fall
- The implications of God’s judgment post-Fall
- How the church has compromised on the Bible to accommodate culture
Chapter 3: Marriage is Optional
- Marriage is optional per the Bible
- Marriage is the norm and the alternative is celibacy
- Chastity until marriage – God’s way is the best way
- Avoiding the pitfalls of pre-marital sexual temptations
Chapter 4: New Testament Teachings on Marriage (Roles/Responsibilities)
- Teachings on men/husbands
- Teachings on women/wives
- The nature of authority
Section 3: Marriage and Culture
Chapter 5: Differences Between Men and Women
Chapter 6: Shifts in Marriage and Society
- The success of patriarchal cultures (need more examples)
- Feminism and women in the workforce
- How men have responded to feminism and changing culture
- Negative indicators in America today (divorce rate, out of wedlock births, opioids, never married women, etc.)
Chapter 7: Social Scripts
Section 3: Practical Wisdom for Men
Chapter 11: The Role of Attraction
- The bible on attraction
- The failure of chivalry
- Works and desire
- What men and women find attractive
- The rise of obesity
- The example of attractive jerks versus unattractive nice guys
- Attraction is a prerequisite for romance
Chapter 12: The Scriptures, mentality and practical life skills for men
- Identity in Christ
- What Does It Mean to Be a Man?
- Jesus says “Follow Me”
- God and Jesus lead perfectly but…
- Suffering is normal
- Attitudes and actions
- Growing as a godly leader
- 5 Step process for growing in maturity
Chapter 13: Finding and choosing a wife
- Masculine immaturity is placing responsibilities before roles
- Understanding leadership
- Moneyball for marriage: statistics on divorce
- Questions to ask prospective wife
- Timeline for a wife
Chapter 14: Leading a marriage
- Discerning martial problems
- Godly versus successful and holiness versus happiness
- The case study of unhappiness
- Leading amidst hostility and conflict
The goal is to potentially have this out by summer or fall.
Additionally, the estimate to have the book edited and formatted professionally is going to be approximately $2000-4000 most likely. Maybe less if we can have some people with professional editing experience.
I’ve had some people offer to donate to get it off the ground. If you wanted to help donate to the cause I was trying to figure out a way to donate anonymously. I did some searching and found this app which has potentially anonymous donations.
If anyone else potentially knows of a way we can do that then reply in the comments. Otherwise, I’ll probably set up an account with them.